3 Home Maintenance Tips For Hartford Summers
In summertime, your biggest concern should be about having enough food for your summer party, and not how to repair a rotted deck or a busted appliance. The key to summer home maintenance in Hartford is prevention. By inspecting and resolving small issues, you can avoid bigger, more expensive projects in the future. Here’s 3 home maintenance tips for summer that keep you on top of your home’s maintenance before bigger problems occur.
1. Make Your Home More Energy Efficient
Summer is a great time in Hartford to work on your home’s energy efficiency so that you can keep your home cool and your utility bills low. Start by checking your windows and doors for leaks that let air in. Add weatherstripping to doors or replace old weatherstripping if you feel air coming through. Check your windows’ caulking for any cracks or leaks and replace the cracked sections.
Purchasing energy efficient window treatments like plantation shutters can help you reduce your energy bill - and perhaps even get a tax credit. Polywood® faux wood plantation shutters minimize the transfer of air through your window’s glass. They’re 70% more energy efficient than normal wooden shutters and 1600% more energy efficient than aluminum blinds.
2. Brighten Up Your Decks And Patios
If you’re planning on barbecuing on your porch or patio during the summer, ensure it’s ready for your guests. Start by checking your patio or deck for safety. See if there are any boards, supports, or steps that need replacing because they’re rotting or broken. Then seal or stain your deck and patio to give it a new look and guard it against the relentless summer sun and rain.
Once you’ve replaced or repaired any damaged boards and areas and sealed your patio, you’re ready for the fun part - making it shine. You can add interest to the windows and doors attached to your porch and patio by installing window treatments like plantation shutters for your sliding door or french doors or sidelight shutters. Then bring in new patio furniture or a fire pit. Finally, landscape around your porch or patio to make it more colorful.
3. Maintain Large Appliances
Appliances that are broken or leak can put a stop to your fun summer plans. Here’s some things to watch out for with your major appliances to help them run smoothly:
● Refrigerator. Clogged refrigerator coils can increase your electric bill since your fridge needs to work harder. It’s easy to clean and vacuum them out. Start by unplugging your refrigerator and then use your vacuum’s crevice tool (or a coil cleaning brush attachment) to remove all the lint and dirt from the coils.
● Dishwasher. Inspect your dishwasher for any backed up water or leaks. Then deodorize it and give it a deep clean by running a cycle with a cup of vinegar. You’ll also want to clean out the filter (located under the spray arms in most models) with soap and water.
● Washer and dryer. Inspect your washing machine hoses for any cracks, leaks, or bulges. If needed, replace the hoses. Once a year, you should clean your dryer hose and exterior vent or hire a professional to do the job.
Enjoy Your Summer
By maintaining your home and appliances, you’ll be able to have a pleasant summer. If you’re interested in giving your home a new look this season with window treatments for your patios, dining rooms, or living rooms, look through our idea gallery and then give us a ring for a free in-home consultation at 860-266-5459. We’ll walk you through all your window treatment options in Hartford and do all the work and installation so you can relax and have a pleasant summer.